Monday, December 1, 2014

Patience dear....Patience.

I had foot surgery on October 8th, 2014.  This is my 9th foot surgery.  My foot doctor told me long ago that I needed to find another profession.  Of course I ignored his request.

 Jazzercise is my stress relief.
 Jazzercise is way more fun than any other cardio.
 Jazzercise makes me right.
 Jazzercise brings me happiness.
 Jazzercise keeps my mind clear of cobwebs as well as my body in shape.
 Jazzercise is my life.
 Jazzercise makes me a better version of myself!

I also teach Pilates and Yoga but I don't get that endorphin rush from them like I do Jazz.  I do get other benefits from them that I LOVE but I also NEED Jazzercise.

I was released from the foot doctor and able to get off crutches and out of my boot on November 20th.  Although he released me, I was not to teach Jazzercise for 4-6 more weeks.  I about fell off the table when I heard that!  I was released to teach Pilates and Yoga.

I started teaching Pilates and Yoga the week of the 24th, which helped me tremendously.  I also started lifting weights again that week.  This was all great and good but I knew something was missing.  I decided to try to take a Jazzercise class on Nov 28th.  I told myself I would behave and only do what I could.  Behaving was easy because I am still having pain in my foot.  What wasn't easy was that I could barely move through the routines.  I made it halfway through the class before leaving in tears.  I went to my yoga room and shut the door and cried.   I had walked 3 miles the day before in the Turkey Trot with Berta, but that didn't matter.  I wasn't able to Jazzercise and for that, I cried.

I cried because I am sick of my foot hurting.
I cried because I want to be up on that stage again doing what I do best.
I cried because part of me is scared and wondering will I ever be able to move like that again?!
I cried because I have gained weight and long to move my body again.
I cried because I am having problems with being patient.

I was feeling sorry for myself.

 I had a Yoga class to teach in half an hour so I knew I had to pull myself together.  My friend
 Berta came in and talked me down off the ledge and I felt a little better.  I went to the bathroom, splashed some water on my face and put my happy face on to teach an awesome Yoga class.

By now, I had been back to teaching Yoga for a week and struggled a lot with some of the poses because not only has my foot been in a boot but my calf muscle has atrophied.   It was barely half the size of my other calf.

During this Yoga class, I was able to stand in the Tree pose and balance on my left side (my healing foot).  It felt so good to be able to do that!!  The demons had left my mind and all I had was happiness and a sense of accomplishment.

I was able to hold the Tree pose.

Take that negative Nelly.

It's crazy how horrible our thoughts can be to ourselves when we are unable to do what we once did without thought.  Today I celebrate this one victory.  Yay me!

Patience my dear....patience.

Namaste,
j

No comments:

Post a Comment