Thursday, April 12, 2012

Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead....

I just watched the movie, Forks Over Knives and Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead.  Forks Over Knives was a documentary about a eating a plant based diet and how eating this way can actually reverse disease in the body.  If you are a vegetarian and considering becoming a vegan, this is the movie to watch. I'm on the fence about this because I feel we need more protein....there is protein in veggies but I'm just not sure if it is enough.  Like I said, I'm still on the fence so I can't give you a good opinion on that.


Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead was a documentary about a 40 year Australian man who was literally Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead and decided to see if he could change his health by only putting the best and freshest food in his body.  He did a 60 day juice fast.  He did end up reversing his health problems, lost a lot of weight and helped a lot of people along the way!

I would never recommend a 60 day juice fast unless it is totally under doctor care.  But this juice fast got me to thinking....could I do it....will I be hungry....will I feel any different?  Let me say this, I LOVE to chew my food. I am NOT one to drink anything but water, coffee or tea.  The official website is here.  There are several different reboot juice fasts that can be done.  I have chose to try the 15 day reboot.  I have two weeks left of my one ingredient diet so this is the perfect time to try it.  I am starting tomorrow.  I will do five days of eating a plant based diet AND juicing...followed by five days of only juicing....followed by five days of eating a plant based diet and juicing.

I have never been a big person on detox diet fads.  I do feel that if you eat a healthy diet, your body will cleanse itself.  With that being said, I'm going for it.  If juicing will help someone that has major health problems, how will it help someone that is healthy?  Will I go through detox?  Hunger?  Weight loss?

I will let you know!!  In the mean time here is a great recipe I made the other night!


Serves 2; Adapted from Your Lighter Side.


Ingredients:


1 cup cooked, riced cauliflower
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp crushed garlic
1/2 tsp garlic salt
olive oil (optional)

pizza sauce, shredded cheese and your choice of toppings*


Directions:


To "Rice" the Cauliflower:
Take 1 large head of fresh cauliflower, remove stems and leaves, and chop the florets into chunks. Add to food processor and pulse until it looks like grain. Do not over-do pulse or you will puree it. (If you don't have a food processor, you can grate the whole head with a cheese grater). Place the riced cauliflower into a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 8 minutes (some microwaves are more powerful than others, so you may need to reduce this cooking time). There is no need to add water, as the natural moisture in the cauliflower is enough to cook itself. 

One large head should produce approximately 3 cups of riced cauliflower. The remainder can be used to make additional pizza crusts immediately, or can be stored in the refrigerator for up to one week.


To Make the Pizza Crust:

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray.

In a medium bowl, stir together 1 cup cauliflower, egg and mozzarella. Add oregano, crushed garlic and garlic salt, stir. Transfer to the cookie sheet, and using your hands, pat out into a 9" round. Optional: Brush olive oil over top of mixture to help with browning.

Bake at 450 degrees for 15 minutes.

Remove from oven. To the crust, add sauce, toppings and cheese. Place under a broiler at high heat just until cheese is melted (approximately 3-4 minutes).

Enjoy!   *Note that toppings need to be precooked since you are only broiling for a few minutes.






This is the crust before cooking.....


After cooking....I did double the recipe and I think I should have cooked the crust just a bit longer....









With my toppings....basil pesto, spinach, artichokes, sun dried tomatoes and mushrooms.



The end result!!  YUMM!!!


Namaste,
j

No comments:

Post a Comment