Wednesday, December 19, 2012

One breath at a time

Today started out really rough for me.  I had a doctor appt at 6:30am in South Bend.  I needed to leave my house by 5:30am.  This is early but not a big deal for me as I'm up early daily- my alarm usually goes off at 4:30am every morning.  I slept through my alarm only to wake up at 6am.  It's weird because I had no idea when I opened my eyes that it was that late because it is still dark out.  I hopped out of bed, put my contacts in and got quickly dressed as I knew my dogs would be needing to go for their morning walk.  As I came downstairs my eyes were not focusing correctly.  I received new contacts yesterday.  I could tell they were not going to work as nothing was in focus.  We did our morning walk and I fed all the animals.  I tried to call the doctor but they weren't open.  How is that possible when I am supposed to be there right now?!  I felt like just crawling right back into bed!  On top of all that, I went to bed with a stomach ache and it was STILL upset!  I ate pizza for dinner and it did not agree with me.

I start to head back upstairs. We have gates in a couple doorways to keep the dogs contained in a certain are of the house.  These gates are not always compliant with opening and closing easily so I decided to step over the gate.  Did I mention that I just had hip surgery a week ago and I should NOT be lifting my leg up over that gate?  I get one leg over and my other foot catches on the top of the gate. Down I go straight on the ceramic tiles (no it couldn't be carpet).  My knees mostly take the impact.  I swear when I hit the floor the whole house shook.  I laid there accessing my injuries and hoping for someone to come to my rescue...I started to tear up then just started laughing. Really?!  This is how my morning is going to be?!  The dog started barking but no rescuers.  I wanted to grumble and complain so I texted my friend Berta.  Told her I overslept- missed my appointment. Her reply was that I must've gotten a good nights sleep!  I have not been sleeping well AT ALL!  She was right!  I slept good!  I starting thinking about how awful my morning was but then realized how lucky I am to be alive.  I am allowed a crummy start to my day but how I react to it is what matters.  I know there are a lot of funerals in Connecticut this week and my bad morning is nothing compared to the grief they are going through.

I took some long deep breaths.  Took a hot shower and an anti-inflammatory (thanks for the reminder berta).  Called doc to reschedule.  I was able to reschedule for later today.  Yay!   Called the eye doc and took care of the contact issue.  I was able to enjoy my morning without rushing around like a mad woman. 

One breath at a time.  One day at a time. 

Remember if you are having a horrible day...step back....take a moment.  We are allowed to be upset, to feel cranky.  But don't let it ruin the rest of the day.  Life is just too short.

In light and love,
j

1 comment: