Sunday, June 16, 2013

Cauliflower Crust Pizza- Meatless Monday

I've made cauliflower crust pizza before but I found this recipe that swears the crust will hold together.  I found this recipe here at The Lucky Penny.  She has some really goods pics too.  I forgot to take pics of the crust as I went along.  Usually, cauliflower pizza must be eaten with a fork because it falls apart.  I found that I should have used more cauliflower because the pizza was just too small and I had way too many toppings on it for it to hold up. 

Grain-Free Cauliflower Crust Pizza (taken from The Lucky Penny Blog)
makes one approx. 10-12 inch pizza


1 small to medium sized head of cauliflower - should yield 2 to 3 cups once processed (I had 3 cups of cauliflower but it still didn't seem like enough)
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
optional a few shakes of crushed red pepper
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup mozzarella cheese
1 egg
optional 1 tablespoon almond meal  (I didn't use this but I think I should have) 

Place a pizza stone in the oven, or baking sheet if you don't have a pizza stone. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. On a cutting board, place a large piece of parchment paper and spray it with nonstick cooking oil.
 
Wash and thoroughly dry a small head of cauliflower. Cut off the florets, you don't need much stem. Just stick with the florets. Pulse in your food processor for about 30 seconds, until you get powdery snow like cauliflower. (I used this instead of a food processor)
 
You should end up with 2 to 3 cups cauliflower "snow" - Place the cauliflower in a microwave safe bowl and cover. Microwave for 4 minutes. Dump cooked cauliflower onto a clean tea towel and allow to cool.
 
Once cauliflower is cool enough to handle, wrap it up in the dish towel and ring the heck out of it. You want to squeeze out as much water as possible. This will ensure you get a chewy pizza like crust instead of a crumbly mess. I got a 1/3 cup water out of this cauliflower.

 
Dump ringed out cauliflower into a bowl.  Now add 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese, 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, 1/2 teaspoon dried basil , 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano (crush up the leaves even more between your fingers before adding), 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (not garlic salt),and a dash of red pepper if you want.  If you do not have enough cauliflower, you can add some almond meal....this is optional.  Now add your egg  and mix away. Hands tend to work best.
 
Once mixed together, use your hands to form the dough into a crust on your oiled parchment paper. Pat it down thoroughly, you want it nice and tightly formed together. Don't make it too thick or thin either.
Now, using a cutting board slide the parchment paper onto your hot pizza stone or baking sheet in the oven. Bake for 8 - 11 minutes. After baking the crust, you can add any toppings you like.  I used basil pesto sauce instead of traditional pizza sauce.  This is my picture before cooking.......then cook 5-7 minutes Enjoy!!
I used Morning Star meatless sausage patties on this as well as lots of veggies.  What would you put on your pizza to keep it meatless??
 
Love j
 

No comments:

Post a Comment