Tuesday, December 20, 2011

About me...

I have always pretty much eaten healthy.  I am a vegetarian and have been for about 7 years.  I have always been one to gravitate towards the veggie part of the meals more than the meat.  I watched Super Size Me one day and at the end of the video, there were many clips on how that one hamburger you get at McDonald's could be from hundreds of cows.  Not sure why but I always thought this "one burger" came from "one cow".  Well, that lead me to the library to check out many books on why I should be a vegetarian.  After reading about all the animal abuse and the health benefits of this new way of eating, I was hooked.  I started out not eating fish.  After a while, I added fish back in my diet.  I don't have a real good reason for that other than I just felt like I needed it.  I do eat eggs and cheese.  I have thrown the idea of being vegan around for about a year now.  The problem?  I love cheese.  You cheese lovers will understand my wavering.  


So what brought me to my 12 week eat clean challenge in December of all times?  My healthy eating habits began to take a turn.  Now normally, I would say I eat 80% of the time healthy and 20% of the time not.  Well my 80/20 rule started turning into 60/40 then 40/60 then 20/80 and before you know it I'm eating big macs and fries.  Ok, not really but you get the picture. (I have been known to eat a bag of kettle corn for dinner) Yep, I was eating more unhealthy than healthy.  Not all of it was "unhealthy" but I was eating more granola bars, protein bars, prepackaged quick fixes.  I found myself eating out more because I wasn't  planning my lunches.  My blood sugar starting playing tricks on me, I felt bloated most days and I was just plain tired.  Time for a change.  I kept saying I would start being better.  I was telling my clients what to do but wasn't staying true to myself.  I bought veggies and I threw them away because they spoiled.  I was disgusted with myself and I was ten pounds heavier than I was 8 months ago.  The need to make a change was greater than the need to stay the same- Finally!!


I sat down and made a list of everything I needed to eat for the week.  I had my daughter take a "before" picture of me in a sports bra and swimming shorts. Front, side and back. Holy Cow!!!  I didn't look at that picture right away but when I did I about died.  Do I really look like that?!  It wasn't pleasant.  My daughter even said while she was taking the picture.  "Mom don't hate me for taking this picture."  I recommend anyone on the fence for making a change for their health to do just that.  It was startling.  I obviously have seen myself in the mirror and I know what my body looks like but to see it in a picture.  Hmmm, different somehow.  And 


The question everyone is asking is why not wait til January?  I say why wait?  I will be three weeks ahead of my goal.  I will save myself thousands of calories from cookies and other sugar laden products that my body doesn't need.  And the way I was going, I would have gained several pounds easily.  So started the beginning of my journey.  


Eating clean is really the only way to go.  We are eating so much more non food than we ever had. 

Here are the basic rules to eating clean-


Eat within an hour of waking up-  This has been hard from me because I start so early and I have to teach exercise class.  I have started drinking a protein drink so I don't wait too long to eat.   I mix a half scoop of protein powder with 8 ounces of unsweetened vanilla almond milk.  Easily digested and I can drink it while I get ready.  Before I drink that though I start my morning with a hot cup of water with half a lemon squeezed in it.  This helps to flush the body of toxins.  It cleanses your liver and helps your digestive track and bowels start moving.  


Eat every three to four hours-  I promise you that you will NOT be hungry.  It is impossible.  Today I have eaten at 6:30am (woke up late at 5:30am ugh)  At 6:30am I had 4 scrambled egg whites with salsa and a 1/2 cup oatmeal with flaxseed and cinnamon.  Real oatmeal, not single serving oatmeal.  At 9:30 I had a protein drink with 1/2 banana mixed in.  8oz unsweetened almond with with a scoop of protein powder.  12:30 cod fillet with half a sweet potato and green beans.  at 3:30 I will have 2 cinnamon protein bars and half cup cottage cheese with cinnamon.  At 6:30pm I am having dinner at a friends.  She is making shrimp stir fry with a salad.  If I was up late (I know I won't be) but if I was, I could eat a snack at 9:30pm.  


Eat foods with few ingredients-  Look for nutrition labels with fewer than 5 ingredients.  Stop buying prepackaged and make your own.  In my last few blogs, I have included protein bars.  These are great for when we need something quick and easy!  Buy fresh fruit, fresh or frozen vegetables and lean meats.  Stick to the outside perimeter of the grocery store and you will find clean foods.  Stay to the inside of the isles and you begin to get swallowed in the processed world.


Cut out the white stuff-  Sugar, white flour, white pasta, white potatoes, white rice, white bread.  Grab the whole wheat version instead.  Try sweet potatoes or red potatoes instead of white...brown or wild rice.


Eat the rainbow- No skittles here.  Try to eat all colors of the rainbow.  Spinach, kale, oranges, red peppers, yellow squash, blueberries, strawberries, peaches etc.  Colorful foods are filled with more nutrients and flavor than bland processed foods.  If your plates are filled with cream colored food.... try again!


Eat healthy fats- Avocado, nuts, nut butters, olive oil, coconut oils, flax seeds.  Not all fat are created equal.  We need healthy fats to keep our metabolize functioning properly.


Water-Drink it.  Nuff said.


That's it in a nut shell.  Questions? 




Until next time,


Peace,
j







1 comment:

  1. I too have contemplated blazing the vegan trail, but I love cheese, cottage cheese, and yogurt as well as over easy eggs. Cutting meat doesn't bother me the slightest. I have many bad habits to break, thank you for posting this blog and sharing your journey as well as tips for those of us who plan to begin our journey a short time after you. I plan to be there next week (it's my starting point for the exercise portion) several days. Merry Christmas and see you next week!

    -Noelle

    ReplyDelete