Monday, February 20, 2012

Butternut Squash Lasagna and Roasted Brussel Sprouts.





I've been trying to stay away from Pasta because I tend to lose my portion control with pasta.  I tried using butternut squash in place of lasagna noodles and I was quite pleased with the results.

Home made Marinara Sauce   
 2 cans crushed tomatoes
1 can tomato paste
1tbsp oregano
1 tsp basil
2tbsp minced garlic
2 tsp honey (more honey can be added if you want a sweeter sauce)
1 cup onion (optional)
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
salt to taste 
Put all ingredients into crock pot and cook on low for 3-4 hours.  If time is an issue, you can cook on stove and simmer...taste better the longer it can simmer!

Butternut Squash Lasagna
1 Red Onion chopped
3 cloves of garlic
1 red or yellow pepper, diced or sliced
1 container of fresh portabello mushrooms, sliced
 extra virgin olive oil
1 butternut squash, cut in planks
Home made Marinara sauce (I probably used about 3 to 4 cups.)

Preheat over to 400 degrees.  Saute onions, pepper, mushrooms and minced garlic in olive oil.  But the top and ends off squash and peel it.  Cut it in half, then cut each half in half, lengthwise.  Pull out the seeds and then cut the squash into planks.  
Using a 9x9 or 8x8 baking dish- cover bottom of pan with marinara sauce, next add squash (do not overlap) then sauteed veggie and marinara.....  Repeat until all ingredients are used.  Reserve enough sauce to cover top of lasagna.  Bake for 45 minutes.  Sprinkle with freshly grated Parmesan.   I didn't add any cheese or meat.  If you so choose you can add any veggie or sausage if you prefer!

Here is the end result!!



Roasted Brussel Sprouts..

























I also made some Roasted Brussel Sprouts.  I took 2 pounds of fresh sprouts and put into a gallon size bag. I added 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted, 1tsp each of salt and pepper and shook that bag good!  I cooked in oven at 400 degrees for 35-40 minutes.  I pulled the pan out and shook every 10 minutes or so to cook them evenly.

  This is my daughter Cari, trying brussel sprouts for the first time.



She is being a good sport and trying foods that I could NEVER get her to eat before.  This is what she said "Sorry but it tasted like feet, then broccoli.  I'm not sure what to think anymore!"  She has a thing with food tasting like "feet."  I don't know about you, but I've never tasted feet before.


Step out of your comfort zone friends.  Try a vegetable that you have never tried or didn't like in the past.  Sometimes, it's all about the way you cook it that makes or breaks the taste.

With positive thoughts,

love j



1 comment: