Friday, February 17, 2012

Random facts...

1.  Many foods get their red food coloring "carmine" from ground up insect shells that can cause severe allergic reactions in some people.  Pink grapefruit juice gets its coloring from this.


2.  According to research from UCLA, it takes only two months to lower levels of brain chemicals responsible for learning and memory on a steady diet of processed foods.


3.  The same company that makes metal detectors for airports also sell them to food manufacturers, who use the devices to test processed meats for stray wires, metal shards and hypodermic needles.


4.  Castoreum is used to enhance the flavor of puddings, candies and some frozen dairy desserts.  What is castoreum?  Castoreum is a bitter, orange-brown, odoriferous oily secretion found in two sacs between the anus and the external genitals of beavers.  Yep and you can find it as "natural flavors" in your Yummy processed foods.  (Can you imagine a group of people sitting around the table saying, "This pudding is missing something....I can't put my finger on it....Oh wait, I know, let's try the secretions from beaver anal glands....yes that's perfect!"  Seriously?!  How does this happen?!


5.   An average person yearly fast food intake will contain 12 pubic hairs.  


6.  Propylene used for antifreeze keeps your salads crispy.


7.  Just in time for Easter- jelly beans keep their shine with Shellac.  It is associated as being a type of wood finishing material.  Shellac is derived from the excretions of the Kerria lacca insect which is native to the Thailand Forests.


8.  The FDA allows 19 maggots and 74 mites in a three and a half ounce can of mushrooms.


9.  Cheese products contain less then 51% cheese.  Any cheese whose package states it is processed is most likely less than 51% cheese.  The other 49%?  A blend of flavorings and additives to give you the illusion of cheese.  




10.  The following is the ingredient list for "Strawberry Flavoring"





  • Amyl acetate
  • Amyl butyrate
  • Amyl valerate
  • Anethol
  • Anisyl formate
  • Benzyl acetate
  • Benzyl isobutyrate
  • Butyric acid
  • Cinnamyl isobutyrate
  • Cinnamyl valerate
  • Cognac essential oil
  • Diacetyl
  • Dipropyl ketone
  • Ethyl butyrate
  • Ethyl cinnamate
  • Ethyl heptanoate
  • Ethyl lactate
  • Ethyl methylphenylglycidate
  • Ethyl Nitrate
  • Ethyl propionate
  • Ethyl valerbate
  • Heliotropin
  • Hydroxyphrenyl-2butanone (10% solution in alcohol)
  • A-Ionone
  • Isobutyl anthranilate
  • Isobutyl butrate
  • Lemon essential oil
  • Maltol
  • 4-Methylacetophenone
  • Methyl anthranilate
  • Methyl benzoate
  • Methyl cinnamate
  • Methyl heptine carbonate
  • Methyl naphthyl ketone
  • Methyl salicylate
  • Mint essential oil
  • Neroli essential oil
  • Nerolin
  • Neryl isobutyrate
  • Orris butter
  • Phenethyl alcohol
  • Rose
  • Rum ether
  • G-Undecalactone
  • Vanillin
  • Solvent



Now, who wants a strawberry milkshake?!  That is 46 chemical ingredients to make strawberry flavor!!!!!!!!!  Wouldn't it be easier to just throw some strawberries in there?  I don't know, I'm just thinking outside the box.  


Knowledge is power friends.  Keep reading those nutrition labels.  When in doubt, put it back on the shelf.  


Eat to Live friends, don't Live to Eat.


I am feeling a bit better.  My water intake is up and my weight is down two pounds. YAY!!! I also cut my portion sizes a little bit since I am not working out.  I have been eating as if I have still been working out.  I used to wear a body bug which is a device that you can wear on your arm to see just how many calories you burn in one day.  I would normally burn around 500-1000 calories (just working out calories-not my metabolic rate the entire day)   depending on how many classes I would teach.  So since I am not burning those extra calories, I need to cut my calories slightly.  I am lucky that I have a good amount of muscle that burns calories even when I am at rest.   
I don't count calories.  I have done so in the past and find it tedious and I tend to lose interest quickly.  I do think it is important to measure my ingredients though.  I also want to remind you that what works for me isn't necessarily going to work for you.  I believe writing down what you are eating and counting calories is the BEST way to lose weight.  Once you do it enough, you become more aware of what is in your food and you become more aware of portion size.  There is a program a lot of my clients are using called Lose It that you can download on a smart phone.  Sparkpeople.com is another weight loss support system that is free and has LOTS of resources on it.  




With light and love,
j





No comments:

Post a Comment