Saturday, January 28, 2012

My innocent trip to Olive Garden.



Last weekend I went to Olive Garden.  I was planning on going somewhere else to eat but that restaurant was closed so my Son chose Olive Garden.  I didn't have time to review their nutrition information before going but I felt good about what I already knew and was pretty sure what I was going to order.  I was planning on the Herb-Grilled Salmon.  I knew from a previous visit that this was a healthy option.  However, as I sat looking at the menu, I was thinking of trying the Seafood Brodetto.  It had the olive branch next to it which meant it was a low fat entree. I knew the Salmon wouldn't be considered low fat because Salmon is a fish that is higher in fat- but it is the GOOD fat- omega 3.  I asked my server for the nutrition information for the menu and she immediately brought me one.  I looked down to see how my choice of the Seafood Brodetto would be. Hang on to your chairs friends cause I was almost knocked off mine when I read the sodium content.  The Seafood Brodetto has 2250 mg of sodium!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I was SHOCKED!!!  I was so glad I checked the nutrition information first!  Are you aware of how much sodium we should consume in one day?  2300-2400 mg.  My one meal would have covered it.  The stats for the whole meal was, 480 calories, 16g fat, 2250 mg sodium, 47 g protein.  I changed my mind and ate the Herb-Grilled Salmon with broccoli.  It had 510 calories, 26 g fat, 760 mg sodium, 64 g protein.  We can not process more than 30 g of protein in our body, the rest is stored as fat if not burned off.  So 64 g of protein is way too much.  The piece of Salmon was very large.  I ate half of the meal and 3 hours later when it was time to eat, I ate the second half.  My meal then consisted of 255 calories, 13 g fat (healthy fat), 380 mg sodium, 32 g protein. Perfect.  

 Now I also had the salad with the dressing.  I knew it was high in sodium but wanted to eat it anyway.  Next time I will ask for dressing on the side.  One serving of salad with dressing has 350 calories, 26g fat, 1930 mg sodium, 5 g protein!!  I should not have eaten it.  Period!  Here are the stats without dressing, 120 cal, 3.5 g fat, 550 mg sodium, 4 g protein.  I will never eat it with the dressing on again.  Between the fat and sodium, this one serving salad is a heart attack waiting to happen.  It doesn't say how much "one" serving is either.   I did not have any bread sticks and  drank water.   Here are the stats on that in case you are wondering, 150 calories for ONE!!!! 2 g fat, 400 mg sodium, 6 g protein.  The scale went up two pounds the next morning just like clockwork.  I knew since I had that salad I would have to drink lots of water to combat the water retention.  But even that didn't help.  

Just remember how important it is to check the stats of the food you are eating if you can!!  Just because it is low in fat does not mean it is healthy by any means.   








I found this at Costco.  I was really excited about trying it until I read the label.  It says it is "with Blueberry"  I'm not sure how it can be "with blueberry" when there is no actually blueberry in it.  There is a lot of juice concentrate in it though. Juice concentrate comes from whole juice that has had water removed.  That is a clean product but where are the blueberries?  I just feel like that is misleading.  There is also a lot of natural ingredients (say chemicals) and lots of sugar in different form (say not clean).  Nuff said.   





This is one of my new Clean finds.  Mary's Gone Crackers.  If you need gluten free, these are for you too!  Lots of healthy organic ingredients.  The best part is they TASTE GREAT!!!  Nutrition stats, 13 crackers have 140 calories, 5g fat, 190 mg sodium, 3g fiber, 21g carbs, 0 sugar and 3g protein.  I absolutely love these broken up on top of my salads.  Yumm!!  I found this at Kroger in the organic section.  I checked online and it shows they sell these crackers at Costco.  I'm headed there today so I will look for them.







The next two pictures are what I found at Costco.  Both of these bags, the golden flax meal and the chia seeds sold for just over $6 a bag.  Great Price!!  Eating clean does not have to be expensive.  I use these both daily!!!






Just recently found this at Costco too!!  I HEART IT!!!!  I love it on my new crackers, I love it as a salad dressing, I love it as a vegetable dip.  I would eat it in a box and I would eat it with a fox!!!  That's how much I LOVE it!!  2TBSP have 50 calories but they are healthy calories.  The ingredients are all clean!!! It says all natural on the label and they aren't fibbing friends!!  





I am on day 48 of my challenge, going into week 8.  I am still right on 136 pounds down 11 pounds.  I feel AWESOME!!!  Some changes I have noticed....my skin is looking younger.  Have you ever looked in the mirror and your face just suddenly looks older?  More wrinkles and just not the best color?  I was feeling like that.  I feel like I have a healthier glow now that I do not have all those chemicals running through my body.  Another thing I noticed was my cellulite was looking better!!!!  I do have cellulite on the back of my legs, yuck, and the other day I noticed it was becoming less noticeable!!!!  YAY!!!
My stomach never feels bloated and I have so much energy!!  


I am training for a half marathon and started having really bad hip pain.  I finally limped to the doctor to see what was wrong.  I have tendinitis in my hip form over-use.  Ugh!  The doctor put me on steroids. He said it was the quickest way to heal it.  No running for a while and rest as much as I can.  Half Marathon is not until May so I think I will be fine.  It's frustrating when our bodies do not want to cooperate with what we want.  I am at peace with it though and hoping for a quick recovery.  I am told the steroids will make me HUNGRY!!!  I'm also hoping my clean eating every 3 hours will curb that!!!  I will keep you posted!


Oh, before I forget!!  One of my friends brought me a bag of processed foods that she did not want in her house.  I thought we could donate it.  One of my other friends suggested the state street food pantry.  I have a challenge for you!  I would love for you to go through your cupboards and clean them out of all the processed unclean foods.  Bring it all up to Ladies Fitness Zone and we will donate to the local food bank.  They are always in need of help.  Are you up for the challenge?  


Remember friends, YOU have the power to SAY, This is NOT how the story is going to END!!!


Lots of LOVE,


j

No comments:

Post a Comment