Wednesday, January 25, 2012

My response to "Obesity is a disease and not a decision!"

A couple of days ago, I posted a quote on Facebook that I had seen on a billboard.  "Obesity is a disease, NOT a decision."  I asked what you thought and many of you responded.  I got some great responses.  Here are my thoughts.

No one makes a decision to be obese.  No one thinks, when I grow up, I want to be obese.
  
The definition of disease taken from Wikipedia-
 disease is an abnormal condition affecting the body of an organism. It is often construed to be a medical condition associated with specific symptoms and signs.[1] It may be caused by external factors, such as infectious disease, or it may be caused by internal dysfunctions, such as autoimmune diseases. In humans, "disease" is often used more broadly to refer to any condition that causes painsufferingdistress,dysfunctionsocial problems, and/or death to the person afflicted, or similar problems for those in contact with the person. In this broader sense, it sometimes includes injuriesdisabilitiesdisorderssyndromes,infections, isolated symptoms, deviant behaviors, and atypical variations of structure and function, while in other contexts and for other purposes these may be considered distinguishable categories. Diseases usually affect people not only physically, but also emotionally, as contracting and living with many diseases can alter one's perspective on life, and their personality.Death due to disease is called death by natural causes. There are four main types of disease: pathogenic disease, deficiency disease, hereditary disease, and physiological disease.
Diseases can also be classified as communicable and non-communicable disease.

Is obesity an abnormal condition affecting the body of an organism?  I'd have to say yes, but this abnormal condition is becoming more and more normal.  

I do agree, there are many people that are affected by the medications they take or other illness may factor in on being over weight.  With that being said, when I take a stroll through the grocery store what I see around me tells another story.

One time a local grocery store here in town was having a health fair and asked if I would like to participate.  Guess where they sat my booth?  Right at the end of the freezer aisle. I had nothing but time on my hands.  Time to watch people shop and see what they are really putting in their carts.  I saw a lot of frozen pizzas, frozen ready to eat dinners and ice cream. Doritos and potato chips were a plenty.  There was no room for pop in the cart so they balanced them on the side of the carts.  I did not see near enough vegetables, fruits, whole grain products and lean meats.

Those people did make a conscious decision to buy those items and take them home to the family.  This decision can lead to obesity when done week after week.  Can you imagine the awkward look I got when they came around the corner only to see "Ladies Fitness Zone".  Eyes darted downward quickly.

We should not be embarrassed about what we eat.  If you are embarrassed about what is in your cart, maybe a change is in order.  

After I saw that billboard, I was walking behind a man that was so obese he had to put his hands inside the sides of his pants to hold them up while he walked.  You could see that the belt loops had already been broken so he had his hands slipped inside holding them up.  He did not walk but rather waddled.  I wondered what he did when he needed one of his hands?!  I want to make it clear here that I am NOT making fun of anyone!  This truly makes me sad when I see this.   It makes me want to shake him and say let me help you save your life!  I can imagine how much he hurts just trying to walk. 

It makes me angry at times too. Angry because sometimes I feel that these people give up on themselves all too often and too quickly  Don't they realize their families love them and want them to be around for a long time?  Don't they realize how much damage they are doing to their bodies?! My guess is that some truly don't or just feel that there is no way out.  They only live in the moment.  The excuses overwhelm them and become their way out.  Too much pain to exercise, not enough time or money. 

Which leads us to another topic.  Money.  I've heard so many times how it is cheaper to eat junk than to eat healthy.  I disagree. 
Here is a blog post if you are interested in reading- a personal trainer decided to go on a six month binge where he didn't work out and ate whatever he wanted.  He is now on his six month challenge to get himself back in shape. If you want to check it out you can here http://www.fit2fat2fit.com/  I'd like to share his wife's blog about the cost of healthy foods vs unhealthy foods Here    That was part 1. Here is Part 2. 

I know it is hard for low income families with a lot of children to buy healthier foods.  However, I do think it can be done.  Going thru the drive thru to buy 99 cent cheeseburgers has got to stop.  It is only setting a bad example for the children and before long that is the only way they know how to eat. Our grandparents made it without all these processed foods and drive thru restaurants- why can't we?  

There are so many factors in obesity and it is different for each person.  I think education is the key to prevention.  If you are obese and need help, seek it.  I know it is SO hard to lose weight!  Probably the hardest thing you will ever do but it IS Possible!!! There is a lot of free help out there.  The internet is a mega source of free information.  The excuses need to stop and until they do, things will not change.  


We all have our breaking point.  You know, that point where your pants are too tight and you decide you are not buying a bigger size or the scale has hit a certain number and you will not go past it....for a lot of people it is a visit to the doctor that sends them on a healthier pattern.... but for some, they gain the weight so slowly and it becomes such a part of their life that it seems easier to keep the weight on then to try to lose it.  I want to help those people!!  The thruth is, we can't help those who aren't willing to help themselves.   

So if I had to give an answer on the billboard....it would be this-  The sum of all our bad eating choices make one bad decision and the end result can be obesity.  

Never judgemental,

j   





.  

No comments:

Post a Comment