Thursday, January 12, 2012

..pics and more pics....

I LOVE Quinoa.  It is the "mother grain".  A complete complex carb and a complete protein.  Cook it like rice.  Bought this big bag as Costco.



Stevia....replaces sugar in recipes.  Bought this at Kroger.


Xylitol- a substitute for sugar in baking.  It is a sugar alcohol that is pulled from fruits and vegetables fiber.  Some people are sensitive to sugar alcohols which can cause abdominal discomfort and is NOT safe for pet consumption.  I use this in my protein bars.  Kroger brand here.  




I use this in baking a lot.  You can make your own by taking oats and grinding them yourself.  Bob's Red Mill brand is a GREAT brand!!  Huge selection of healthy goods.  Can find a great selection at Kroger and Al's.


This is my favorite protein powder.  I think it tastes great and has no artificial sugar or other junk in it!  18 g protein and 87 calories in one scoop.   Also comes in dutch chocolate.  I buy at www.bodybuilding.com.


Don't want to buy online?  I found this at Kroger.  Uses stevia with no artificial junk!  25 g protein and 110 calories per scoop.


Flax Seed.  My girlfriend bought me this when she was out of town.  I can't remember where she got it.  I know, that helps a lot right?  Well, it doesn't have to be Flax Gold to be good.  You can find flax seed in the healthy sections of the stores.  I seriously try to sprinkle this on anything I can.  Flax seeds give you the healthy fats and fiber.  Be sure to buy ground flax seeds unless you plan on grinding your own.  The whole seeds will pass through your system and you will not absorb them.

This is my favorite.  I always buy several at once (in case Kroger is out, now you know why!)  Almond Breeze unsweetened Vanilla, only 40 calories a cup!  Yumm!


Low Sodium broth is a must in cooking.  This has 140mg sodium in one cup.  Regular broth has over 400mg. Watching sodium levels will stop fluid retention.   Bought this at Kroger in organic/healthy section.




I bought this at Costco and it is a huge lifesaver when I need something quick.  1 can has 3- 2oz servings with 60 calories and   13g protein.  Salmon is a great way to get our healthy fats.




One cup of greek yogurt has 130 calories, 0 fat and a whopping 23g of protein.  I use this is SO many things.  I use it in place of mayo, sour cream and cream cheese.  Great for dips, protein shakes and mixed with Kashi or Ezekial cereals.




Oopsy Daisy!  Ha, didn't realize the pictures downloaded upside down and I don't know how to change it in this program.  Well, you get the picture.   Daisy cottage cheese is a great snack with cinnamon sprinkles on it, mixed with any fruit or even salsa/tomatoes!  1/2 cup serving gives you 90 calories of energy and 14g of protein!  Sodium is at 360mg which is higher than I like, but when I need a quick snack, it is easy peasy!  Watch labels as other cottage cheese will have way too much "non food" ingredients.  Daisy brand is the best I have found. 




Found this fabulous HUGE jar at Costco!!  SO YUMMY!!!  Tomatoes contain Lycopene, a phytochemical and proven antioxidant that fights free radicals in the body.  Ounce per ounce, sun dried tomatoes have 12 times the amount of lycopene as a raw tomato!  They add SO much flavor to dishes.  Love to add it to quinoa!




Also found this at Costco.  Huge convenience option.  Throw in microwave for 90 seconds and you have healthy brown rice.  Beware!!  This convenient container serves two!  Watch your nutrition labels friends!




I try to buy Organic when I can.  I always buy organic spinach and romaine hearts.  I love the crunch romaine hearts add to a salad.  I eat a salad almost daily!




All gone!  Watch for deals on produce and make it a priority to eat it before it goes bad. 




This should be a staple in  your cupboard.  Helps to curb that chocolate craving in protein shakes and recipes!  I have an awesome recipe to share with you using this!! 






Pita Pocket bread and Whole Wheat Flat Pitas are a great way to make sandwiches or pizzas.  I LOVE having pizza using the Pita as the crust.  I use pesto sauce as the base and add spinach, artichokes, tomatoes and goat or feta cheese.  Yumm!!




Chia seeds!  No, you will not grow grass from your head if you eat them!  They are a great source of omega 3 healthy fats and fiber.  1 TBSP has more fiber than 1 cup of oatmeal.  I have started putting this in my protein shakes and on salads along with flax seeds.  Chia seeds swell up when they are wet so they make a great thickener for soups and they swell in your belly after eating so you feel fuller!  I bought them at the health food store but did see them at Costco as well. 




Found this Whole Grain bread at Kroger.  Lots of good ingredients in this bread.  Great if you love a denser bread.  Have as a side with soup or a grilled cheese.  I don't buy this very often though because I know I can too easily over indulge.




I add wheat germ to my oatmeal and smoothies.  The germ at the center of the wheat seed is a concentrated source of nutrients.  2TBSP provide a good source of thiamine, folate, magnesium, phosphorus, iron and zinc.   Agave is a good substitute for sugar but does cause a slight blood sugar spike so I use it sparingly. 


This is the blender I was telling you about!  I LOVE IT!  Most used item in my kitchen!  Comes with a variety of cups and lids.  I do not get commission for selling this at GNC!!  Ha!  Selling for $29.99 for the box with more cups....$19.99 for smaller box.  For me, convenience is huge for staying successful.  This helps immensely!  Very easy clean up!



Stevia powder is another sugar substitute.  I carry this in my purse in case I need it when I am dining out.  I sprinkle it on fruit occasionally and use in recipes!

I have a vita mixer and make my own almond and peanut butter.  I LOVE peanut butter.  Peanuts have more protein while almonds have more of the healthy fats, so I like to take a bag of almonds and a bag of peanuts and blend together.  The best nut butter ever.  No need to add any other ingredients.  I highly recommend measuring any nut butters.  180 calories in 2 Tbsp.  This is one food that is SO easy to over eat without realizing it. 

The other night, I wanted something sweet.  I walked through Kroger drooling at all the yummy looking "bad" foods.  I knew I needed to take action and now!  When I got home I looked through my Oxygen Magazine and found a recipe for peanut butter cups.  Thankfully, I had everything I needed in stock!  Remember the recipe I promised for the unsweetened cocoa powder?  These taste like peanut butter fudgesicles!  Need a chocolate fix?  Here it is without all the sugars and saturated fats.

1 scoop chocolate whey protein powder
1 Tbsp all natural peanut butter
1 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1-2 packets stevia
4 oz water

Blend all ingredients together in blender.  Divide peanut butter mixture into round muffin tins filling about 3/4 full.  I used those Teflon cupcake pans that are flexible.  The peanut butter cups just popped right out.  Leave in freezer for about an hour until firm.  When ready to eat, take out of freezer for 10 minutes or so to thaw just slightly.  Do not however forget them in a baggie in your purse like I did!  Ha, they melt fast! 

I am on day 32 and I feel great.  I am down to 136.2.  Almost 10 pounds down.  People are noticing my weight loss and a friend even told me my thighs look smaller!!!!  I am feeling like I have way more energy and my stomach does not hurt ever!  For a while there it seemed I was bloated and my stomach hurt on a daily basis.  My headaches have stopped.  Another common occurrence for me would be daily headaches.  Nope, no more.  When I think about eating something I shouldn't, it doesn't take me long to realize it is SO NOT WORTH IT. 

Thank you so much for your positive comments.  I hope you are inspired to have a cleaner life!

Love and hugs,
j

"If you can't control your peanut butter, you can't expect to control your life."
---Calvin and Hobbes

6 comments:

  1. Great Janet! I love that bagged Stevia. So thankful for Stevia. Will have to try chia seeds. I love those convenience cups of brown rice but I don't heat anything in plastic anymore because the of the chemicals. ): I make loads of brown rice a few times per week and freeze in bags, then heat in microwave (not in the bag). Continued success to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer, I am also transitioning to using glass storage containers rather than plastic. I would LOVE to stop using the microwave altogether because I just don't think it is healthy but the convenience wins for now. Thanks for sharing what works for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh, yay! I've been meaning to ask you about chia seeds! My cousin Chris is a runner, and he swears by them! Do they change the flavor of things? I was thinking about getting them for Greek Yogurt....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chia seed do NOT have a taste or change the taste of your food. You just have to make sure you check your teeth when you are done eating....hee-hee, they get stuck in your teeth!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a few questions & comments.I worry about sugar substitutes with all the negative reports associated with aspartame. Agava Nectar has been reported by some labs to have more calories than sugar and we have to be careful due to newer products not having regulated nutritional standards. Am I just old school? Is sugar really our enemy if kept in dietary perspective? Like anything, a little (sugar) goes a long way. I'm not sure that sugar is "bad" for us, but think instead that too much has been pushed at us, hidden in our foods and has become a central part of our society (kid gets a boo-boo, we give them a sugary treat). I love all the info you provide. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with you Sarah. I think sugar is good in moderation. I do however think we have lost the idea of exactly what moderation is. As you said, it is such a central part of our society, no one knows how to NOT eat so much.

    I didn't know that about agave nectar. I will check into that more. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete