Wednesday, January 4, 2012

What I love and where to get it.

Ok friends, if you were to come to my house and look in my cupboards and refrigerator, what would you find?  Here is a list of what I keep in my kitchen for my clean eats.  Not an exhausted list but some of my favorites.


1-Protein Powder-
Friends I have to tell you this is one of my favorite meals or snacks.  There is no reason to go to dairy queen anymore when you can make a protein shake.  I am not kidding!!  I have a protein shake almost every day as a snack or meal replacement.  When shopping for a protein powder you want to find one that does not have artificial sugars and other garbage in it.  My favorite is MRM 100% all natural Whey protein powder.  It comes in Vanilla or chocolate.  I buy it on bodybuilding.com.  They are having a sale right now, buy two get one free.  $24.99 a bottle so you can get 3 bottles for 49.98.  They have free shipping right now too.  Each bottle has 38 servings and has 18g protein/ 87 calories in each serving. This protein powder has no sugars, artificial sweeteners or flavors and is hormone free.  Now if you don't want to buy off the Internet, I found another that passes my clean test.  This is is called Jay Robb Whey Protein.  Kroger carries it in the healthy/organic section.  There are many flavors, vanilla, chocolate, tropical dreamsicle.  This one is made with Stevie.  There are 11 servings in the container, 25g protein/110 calories per serving and cost $25.  A lot more expensive than the online one but if you don't shop online this one is for you.  I went to GNC last night to look at their protein powders and they had not one protein powder that passed my clean test.  They all had artificial junk in it.  I was disappointed.  


Women really don't need more than 18-21 g of protein per servings.  Men can get up to 30g.  This all depends on weight/height and activity level so I'm just giving you a round about number.  So as you can see, the protein powder works perfectly.  GNC is having a sale right now on "On the go blenders".  They have a small box for $19.99 and a bigger box with more cups in it for $34.99.  I'm telling you convenience is so important!!  I love my vita mixer blender but these little on the go blenders are so easy to clean.  These have lids with straws and the cups are big enough to put lots of yummy goodness in them.  My staple protein shake consists of one cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk, ice, one scoop protein powder and flax seed.  Depending on if it is a meal or snack, I will put a banana, and or peanut butter, almonds or cocoa in it.  There are so many combinations you can put together.  


There are several different types of protein powder out there and I will explain how those differ in an upcoming blog.   I like whey protein powder.   


2- Unsweetened vanilla almond milk by blue diamond.  40 calories in one cup.  50% more calcium than milk.  Almond milk is free of soy, dairy, lactose, cholesterol, Peanuts, casein, gluten, eggs, saturated fat and MSG.  It tastes AMAZING!!!  I LOVE the vanilla flavored unsweetened but they also carry plain unsweetened at just 35 calories.  I buy this at Kroger in the organic/healthy section just past the floral department in the refrigerated section.


3- Fage 0% Greek yogurt.
One cup contains 130 calories, 0 fat and 23 g of protein.  I use this product in egg salads, in place of protein powder in shakes, in place of sour cream, cream cheese, use it for dips and in many recipes.  This is also found at Kroger in the organic refrigerated section.


4- Kashi cereals.
These cereals are great because they pack a powerful protein punch.  You will get your complex carbs and protein in one bowl of cereal.  One serving (measure this out) of GoLean Crisp has 9g protein, 8g fiber and 18g whole grains.  No high fructose corn syrup in this cereal.  There are several to choose from but look for the ones with protein.  You can mix this in yogurt or eat it as cereal with almond milk or throw a handful in a smoothie with berries.  Again, found at Kroger in the organic section.  Can you figure out where I usually shop?  


5- Oats.
I buy my oats at the Health Food Store on Michigan Ave.  I got a huge bag for like $5.  They are not the instant oats but that doesn't stop me from cooking them the same way.  I eat half cup of oats for breakfast with just enough water to cover the oats.  Put in microwave for 90 seconds.  I like my oats a bit chewier and not so mushy.  I always add cinnamon, flax seeds and wheat germs.  Which takes me to my next favorite item.


6- Flax seeds.
Flax seeds provide the omega 3 and omega 6 fats that we need.  It also provides lots of fiber!  I use flax seeds anywhere I can.  I put it in smoothies, oatmeal, protein shakes, soups, salads.  


7- Laughing Cow Light Creamy Swiss Cheese
at 35 calories a wedge you can't go wrong.  Look for the light version to keep the calories down.  There are several flavors to choose from.  There is no need for Mayo when you have these fantastic little wedges.  


8- Ezekiel bread and wraps-
Ezekiel 4:9 Sprouted grain tortillas and bread are inspired by the Holy Scripture verse: "Take also unto thee Wheat, and Barley, and Beans, and Lentils, and Millet, and Spelt, and put them in one vessel, and make bread of it...." Ezekiel 4:9



9- Stevia, Honey, Agave nectar and Xylitol
Stevia is a South American herb used as a natural sweetener.  The leaves of the Stevia plant have a sweet taste.  It has zero calories and zero carbs.  It is 25-30 times sweeter than sugar.  Honey is of course a natural sweetener.  I use honey in tea and on oatmeal on occasion.  
Agave nectar is a natural sweetener extracted from the heart of the agave plant.  It is 25% sweeter than sugar.  1 TBSP has 60 calories and 16g of sugar.  I don't use this one as much because it does can cause a blood sugar spike but is a great alternative to sugar.
Xylitol is a new sweetener most people don't know about.  This sugar alcohol is a completely, natural, low calorie option that is derived from the fibers of many fruits and vegetables.  It works great for baking.  You can find it under the brand Ideal.  Kroger has their own brand, purple bag by the sugars.  Keep in mind that xylitol is dangerous for pets.  Do not feed your pets food made with Xylitol.  There is  a tiny bit of sucrose in it to help sweeten the sugar.  Depending on how well you tolerate sugar alcohols, too much at one sitting may upset your stomach.  This keeps me from overeating my baked goods!    


10- Sweet Potatoes, Spinach, Goat Cheese, Cottage Cheese (Daisy Brand), Salmon, Egg whites, Quinoa, Brown rice, Artichokes, Broccoli, nuts.
Just some of my favorite foods.  I should talk about quinoa.  Quinoa is a complete protein and complex carb.  It is cooked just like rice and is a delicious alternative to rice.  You can find it at Kroger in the organic/ healthy section.  Just make sure you buy the already rinsed quinoa.  There is red and regular quinoa.  Both taste the same.


I like to shop at Kroger and Meijers.  Wal-Mart does not have a good selection of healthy items.  I try not to shop there.  Shop local and stop in to the Health Food Store on Michigan Ave across from the court house.  They have a great selection of healthy foods. Don't forget to look in the freezer while you are there.  The owners are very helpful too!
Molly Beas is a bulk store in Chesterton.  They carry everything in bulk, flours, nuts, pasta and yes candy.  So be careful!!
Costco in Merrillville has an awesome collection of healthy organic items.


That is an overview of my favorites.  I'm sure I forgot something but if so I will add into a future blog.  I know some of you are wondering but what do I eat daily.  I'll post my meals and snacks on the next blog.  Something to look forward too!


With peaceful energy,
j















1 comment:

  1. It's fun to hunt for healthy, new foods to eat. I heart Molly Beas! EVERYONE should go there...it's right off the highway by El Salto and Jewel (in case people were wondering!). Say hello to Joe while you're there!!

    ReplyDelete