Monday, January 16, 2012

What I need to work on..

I'm heading into week 6 and there is something I need to work on.  I eat too fast.  I try to sugar coat it and tell myself, "I  have SO much to do.  Hurry, the to do list is calling."  I spend more time creating my meals and less time eating.  I used to own my own daycare and I ate WHEN I could, which was usually after laying the children down for a nap.  There were just some days that my eating was NOT a priority- so began the 'fast eater'.   There are people that I know that do eat faster than I do.  Does that make me a slow- fast eater?  


In all honesty, I am probably not much different than everyone around me.  We are always running from here to there and back again.  We have this appointment and that appointment and no time eat let alone enjoy our food.    Sometimes I think it is even harder now that I am eating every three hours.  If I don't have the meal/snack ready to pull out of fridge, then I have to have preparation time AND time to eat.  Three hours goes pretty fast and before I know it, I am doing it again.  I'm not complaining, just acknowledging that I am making excuses for scarfing my food down.  


Chewing our food is the first part of digestion.  If we do not chew our food correctly, it can lead to gas and bloating.  Let's face it, swallowing food that is not properly broken down is hard on the gut.  I've heard we should chew our food like 25-30 times!!  Have you ever tried that?  It is hard to do!  Try it tonight at dinner.  


Putting your fork down between bites is another way to slow down.  I'm not sure why but I find that to be awkward and unnatural.  Maybe I just need to practice.  


The biggest thing I notice when I eat too fast is the emotional connection I miss with the food.  I love the taste, the smells and the colors.  When I eat too fast, I am left with this empty feeling.  It's as if I missed the meal completely.  I find myself thinking, I'm still hungry!  But in all reality, had I eaten slower, I would be satisfied.  It is true that it takes 20 minutes for our  brain to realize we are full.  When eating clean, I don't ever really feel too hungry or too full.  I'm kind of in the middle of both.  I'm comfortable.  When I eat too fast, I am not in the middle.  I'm hungry.  Emotionally and physically.


I'm going to try to slow down.  I will enjoy my food--my emotional connection with food and the emotional connection I have with my family while eating my food.  Slow down friends.  We only get once chance at this thing called life.  Let's not rush it.


With kind thoughts,
j


"Don't treat your stomach like a waste basket!"







No comments:

Post a Comment