Friday, March 16, 2012

Have you missed me?

It's been a couple weeks since I posted and I have heard some of you are upset.  Hmmmm, does this mean you missed me?  I have completed my 12 week eating challenge and this is what I gained from it.



  • energy
  • clearer skin
  • happy energy- good moods
  • longer eyelashes (weird right?)
  • better sleep
  • woke up more rested
  • digestive tract working better (TMI I know)
  • flatter stomach
  • thinner thighs YEAH!

This is what I lost-

  • 13 pounds
  • almost daily headaches
  • stomach aches
  • stomach bloat
  • daily water weight gain
  • achy joints
  • restless nights
  • sugar shakes - blood sugar getting too low
  • my favorite creamer and kettle korn- both of which are no longer my favorite!!
  • I lost inches in my THIGHS- oh I already mentioned that!

I know there has to be more to add to the list but you get the idea!  I feel SO much better friends.  I am so glad to have all of you supporting me through this.  So what's next?!  

I have a new challenge!  I am going to eat only single ingredient items for 6 weeks.  Yep, I started yesterday.  My friend B, is going to do this with me too!  I am very excited!!  

I will be able to eat lean protein, beans, legumes, all veggies, all fruits and whole grains with some dairy.   I will be able to mix single ingredient items but I cannot buy anything that is already mixed.  For instance, I can make a stir fry but it has to be from all single item ingredients.  Am I making this harder than it sounds?  I will post my meals for you to see!

Why am I doing this?  For you of course...all in the name of health.   Oh and I will not be eating any SUGAR.  Not in any form!!!  No honey, no stevia in the raw, no nuthin!  


I have a favorite recipe to share with you.  Since I don't eat meat, I eat a lot  black beans.  These are a great substitute for a hamburger, even if you are not a vegetarian.  I will be able to make this recipe during this 6 week challenge except I can't use the whole wheat bread because it is more than one ingredient.  I am going to try to make it without.  

Black Bean Burgers:
·         1/2 onion, diced
·         1 can black beans, well drained
·         1/2 cup whole wheat Flour
·         2 slices whole wheat bread toasted and crumbled
·         1 tsp garlic powder
·         1 tsp onion powder
·         1/2 tsp seasoned salt
·         2 TBSP Ground Flax Seed
·         salt and pepper to taste
·         olive oil for frying
Add one egg white if mixture too thick


Preparation:
Saute the onions till soft, about 3-5 minutes.
In a large bowl, drain and mash the beans until almost smooth. Add sauteed onions and the rest of the ingredients, except the oil, adding the wheat flour a few tablespoons at a time to combine well. If you need, add an egg white to the mixture.  Mixture will be thick.
Form bean mixture into patties, approximately ½ inch thick and fry patties in a small amount of oil until slightly firm. Make veggie burgers and enjoy! Can even be cooked on the grill.  You can even make these up ahead of time and put in the freezer for a quick meal later!
I like to make two small patties and put some laughing cow swiss cheese in the center....mold the two patties into one.  When you take a bite, you have a delicious surprise in the center.  

This is how they look once they are cooked and the picture below is how I prepared it!!  I put it on a bed of spinach surrounded by baby carrots and tomatoes.  I also put jalapeno dip on it!  







I have a dessert for you too.  Almond Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies straight from the Clean Eating cook book! I made these a few weeks back and they are YUMMY!!  

INGREDIENTS:

  • 1 cup unsalted almond butter, stirred well
  • 3/4 cup Sucanat- you can find at health food store Type of sugar- like raw brown sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt
  • 3 oz dark chocolate (70% cocoa or greater), broken into small pieces

INSTRUCTIONS:

  1. Preheat oven to 350°F. In a medium bowl, stir together first 5 ingredients until blended. Stir in chocolate.
  2. Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls onto parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Let cool on baking sheets for 5 minutes. Remove to a wire rack and let cool for 15 more minutes.  Look for smiling faces- unlike when they eat brussel sprouts =0)

Lots of Love,
j



No comments:

Post a Comment