Friday, March 30, 2012

Water-water-water....we are all told over and over to drink our water every day.  We are made up of up to 50-70% water, depending on our size.  I tell my clients to hang up the soda, diet or not, and drink water.  They come back to me with, "But I don't like the taste of water!"  


Personally I Heart drinking water.  Not that I haven't had my days where I don't want to drink water. If I'm not thirsty for water, chances are I am not drinking anything else to replace it. Not good!  I just have my days where I'm just NOT thirsty.  While I was on vacation, I visited a spa that had cucumber water.  I have heard of putting cucumbers in water but I've never actually tried it.  Have you?!  






If not, I highly recommend it!!  It tastes SO refreshing.  It instantly transforms you to feel like you are standing outside on a warm summer day with slight hint of the smell of fresh laundry hanging on the line.  You do have to close your eyes when you drink it :)  Makes you want to try the water, yes?
Seriously, it is delicious and I found myself drinking more water because of it.  I bought this cute little glass container with a lid at Wal-Mart.  I wanted a lid so my water didn't take on the flavors of the fridge.  I bought one for home and work. I also tried putting orange slices and lemon slices together.  Love that too but the cucumber is my favorite.   






Why do we need water?  

  • regulates our body temperature
  • transports nutrients and oxygen into cells
  • moisturizes the air in our lungs
  • helps with our metabolism (we need all the help we can get right?)
  • protects our organs
  • helps digestive tract keep moving
  • helps our organs to absorb nutrients better
  • protects and moisturizes our joints
  • detoxifies our body     
  • muscles consists of 75% water 
  • brain consists of 90% water (now I know why I can't think straight if I am dehydrated)
  • bone consists of 22% water
  • blood consists of 83% water


If I try to work out and I have not had enough water, I notice I am not nearly as energized.  I have a very hard time getting through an hour.  I am tired and fatigued.    
Here are some other signs of dehydration.
  • migraines
  • constipation
  • muscle cramps
  • irregular blood pressure
  • kidney problems
  • dry skin
  • cravings
  • hungry

So how much water should we drink?  Of course we have all heard the 8 glasses a day water rule.  I truly believe you should listen to your own body and do what is right for you.  I noted in a previous blog that I read where we should drink a gallon of water a day.  I tried it and it was too much water for me.  A good way to tell if you are drinking enough is to look at the color of your urine.  If it is dark yellow or orange you are dehydrated.  It should be pale yellow to clear.  The bad thing about drinking the amount of water we should drink....too many trips to the bathroom.  Glad my bathroom is close to my desk!!!


I am well into my third week of eating only one ingredient AND no sugar!  I am dead tired friends!!  By one or two in the afternoon, I could sleep standing up!  Not sure what is going on here.  Detox of sugar? Didn't think I was having that much sugar before this challenge.  I'm unsure where this extreme fatigue is coming from.  I feel better today so maybe the worst is over. Maybe I just need a nap.  I heart naps!!!


Don't forget to pick up some cucumbers at your next trip to the grocery store!  You will LOVE it!!


In light and love,
j


No comments:

Post a Comment