Saturday, January 26, 2013

Dry Brushing

I wrote an article on dry brushing 3 years ago.  I had been dry brushing on a regular basis, then I moved.  I stopped dry brushing because I was so "busy".  Excuses.  I started dry brushing again and I can already tell a difference in my skin.  I know it takes more time in the morning but can you squeeze in ten minutes for your skin health?  I take this time to listen to my audio bible.  I also take this opportunity to check my skin out for anything different.  If you are like me, especially in the winter, I barely leave any skin exposed except for when I am in a hot shower.  This forces me to be more aware of my skin health.  After dry brushing and showering, I make sure to soak oil in my skin before drying off.  The oil traps the water in the skin keeping me more hydrated.

  Below is the article I wrote. 




Did you know the skin is the largest organ of the body?  The skin is a miraculous organ as it can eliminate over one pound of waste each day.  It is known as our third kidney as it is responsible for one quarter of the body’s detoxification each day.  It is the last to receive nutrients in the body but the first to show signs of imbalance or deficiency. 

Dry brushing is another way to help detoxify the skin.  Dry brushing is an exfoliation technique where a soft, dry, natural brush is used to gently brush the skin.  Brushing the skin helps unplug the pores, increase its ability to absorb nutrients, and increase blood circulation to get that healthy “glow”.  Healthy skin needs to ‘breathe’.  Ridding it regularly of dry skin cells will assist the body by producing new skin cells more rapidly.  Brushing aids in digestion, increases the immune system and cleanses the lymphatic system.  Dry brushing also helps to stimulate hormone and oil producing glands which also keeps the skin from aging.  It rejuvenates the nervous system and improves muscle tone and (listen up ladies) helps to eliminate fat deposits and cellulite!!!!

It is best to dry brush right before taking your morning shower.  Start with the bottom of the feet and gently brush in circular motions towards the heart.  Always brush towards the heart with firm but gentle pressure.  Brush the entire body.  This should take less than 10 minutes.  Never brush irritated or affected areas of the body.  Always use a dry brush on dry skin.  You can find a brush at your local drug store.  Be sure to get one that has a long handle that can be detached for easier use.  You will want the long handle to be able to reach your back.

After dry brushing, shower in warm water but end your shower with a quick jolt of cold water.  This allows the pores of the skin to close assisting in the prevention of toxins from entering the skin. 

Be sure to clean the brush with natural soap every week and allow brush to dry in the sun.  In areas of cellulite, dry brush 5-10 minutes twice a day but it must be done consistently for results to be seen! 

I hope this helps you step into that bathing suit with confidence!

In light and love,
j

No comments:

Post a Comment